Can I claim compensation from the police?

When someone asks us, “Can I claim compensation from the police?” we know we are dealing with a serious case. The police exist to protect us all and this means that being mistreated by them can be particularly distressing. It also means that people can be left feeling there’s no-one to turn to for help, or worrying about reprisals if they do take action. A call to Accident Advice Helpline is a good start because we can tackle some of those issues straight away.

We provide a free 24-hour helpline dedicated to providing people in need with advice about compensation law. We can discuss your case with you and let you know your legal options. We can also—if you want—appoint one of our specialist solicitors to represent you. If that solicitor agrees that you have a valid case, it would be very unwise for the police to try and get in the way. You won’t have to face the situation alone.

Understanding your rights

Obviously there are situations in which it’s reasonable for the police to manhandle people. Even in cases like this, however—when it’s necessary for crowd control, detaining a suspect who tries to flee or preventing violence—they are subject to restrictions on how they go about it. If they use more force than necessary or if they are aggressive for no reason, you may be within your rights to make a compensation claim against them. The same applies if you are searched or detained in a way that breaches the rules of police conduct and leaves you feeling traumatised, even if you are not physically injured.

Incidents like this often happen quickly or unexpectedly, and it can be hard to make a clear assessment of the situation when you’re under a lot of stress. If you’re not sure whether or not what happened to you was wrong, give us a call. Often we’ll be able to clarify things for you.

If you do claim, you’ll normally need to do so within three years of the incident occurring. Usually it’s best to act sooner rather than later as this means there’s a better chance of collecting enough evidence to take you case forward successfully.

Working with a solicitor

If you choose to claim via Accident Advice Helpline, you can do so using a no win, no fee* system, which means you won’t need money to get good representation. Your solicitor will take care of the legal side of things but you can help by passing on the details of anybody who saw what happened to you. If you claim early, it may also be possible to acquire CCTV evidence that confirms your story.

Although it may seem difficult to claim compensation from the police, it’s quite possible, and by drawing attention to officers who have behaved inappropriately, you may also be helping to make other people safer in the future. What’s more, most decent police officers are relieved when bad apples are removed from the barrel, enabling them to get on with their jobs much more easily and restore public confidence in a service that should always be there to help.

To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )