Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Claim compensation for housing disrepair

Whether you are renting a property from your local council, a housing association or a private landlord, you have a right to be provided with a safe place in which to live. If you are residing in a poorly maintained property and your landlord is refusing to fix any problems you have encountered, help is at hand if you are injured and need to claim compensation for housing disrepair.

Claim compensation for housing disrepair in these circumstances

A property may be classed as unfit for habitation if it is suffering from any of the following states of disrepair:

• Structural problems.

• Leaking water pipes and other water-related installations, such as baths, showers, sinks and toilets.

• Faulty gas pipes and electrical wiring.

• Central heating system problems.

• Dampness.

• Rotten windows and doors.

• Leaking gutters and roofs.

• Vermin infestations.

Property disrepairs are many and varied in their nature. You should therefore seek tailored advice before making housing disrepair claims.

If you have a valid claim, you may also be able to claim compensation for:

• Any inconvenience or disruption caused by failure to repair.

• Damage to your personal belongings, such as clothing and bedding spoiled by damp or mould

• Any personal injuries or health problems caused by the disrepair, such as respiratory illnesses resulting from damp conditions.

• Any financial losses suffered as a result of your landlord’s failure to respond to your disrepair complaints.

Time restraints to claim compensation for housing disrepair

You can make housing disrepair claims even if you no longer reside at the property in question. In order to make a compensation claim, you will require evidence of the damages sustained to the property and any complaints made to your landlord.

You must make your claim within six years of your landlord first becoming aware of your grievances. However, this time limit is reduced to three years if you also wish to make a claim for personal injury compensation. For this reason, you should not delay in starting your housing disrepair claims.

Proceeding with your claim

Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we have used our expertise to help thousands of people who have been forced to reside in poorly maintained properties.

If you believe you are eligible to claim compensation for housing disrepair, you can call our helpline and talk to one of our friendly professional advisors at any time. Your call will be treated in confidence and you will be under no obligation to proceed with your claim.

Call us now on 0800 689 5659.