How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claim compensation on behalf of a deceased relative

    Claim compensation on behalf of a deceased relative

    Although nothing could ever compensate for the accidental death of a loved one, UK law states that loved ones can claim for monetary compensation to help them deal with the financial fallout of their bereavement. This is the case whether a person has died in an accident that was someone else’s fault or due to clinical negligence.

    Types of bereavement compensation

    There are two different types of bereavement compensation claims. The first involves making a claim on behalf of the deceased’s estate, which means a claim that is designed to cover funeral costs when the executor of the deceased’s estate is not a spouse, partner, or child that was supported by the deceased. Claiming on behalf of the estate can also include a sum to cover vehicle repair if a motor accident was involved and also for the ‘general damages’ of pain and suffering.

    Statutory bereavement award

    The second type of bereavement compensation is claimed on behalf of the deceased’s dependants. It is designed to support them in the absence of their loved one and can include a statutory bereavement award of £11,800, a sum for financial support and a sum for services that are required in the absence of the deceased (for example, if the surviving spouse is disabled and now requires a cleaner to look after their home).

    The sum awarded for financial support differs in each case. It involves taking into account the deceased’s salary, how much money they were likely to have spent on the home and family and how long they would likely have lived if it weren’t for the accident.

    Making a claim for compensation after the death of a loved one

    If you would like to find out more about making a claim for compensation on behalf of a deceased relative, call our expert advisors at Accident Advice Helpline. The lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and our advisors have a great deal of experience in dealing with the subtleties of each individual situation. They’ll be able to explain the claims procedure and tell you how much compensation you are likely to receive.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm which specialises in personal injury compensation. We are proud to have the endorsement of consumer champion and TV personality Esther Rantzen.

    Talk to an advisor by calling 0800 689 0500.

    Date Published: February 18, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.