How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who do I claim against for misplaced road signs?

    As one of the longest established companies in the personal injuries field, we at Accident Advice Helpline are often asked, “who do I claim against for misplaced road signs?”

    Misplaced road signs can cause horrific accidents on our roads, resulting in injury, damage to property and even death. Most people involved in such accidents usually do not know who to hold responsible for misplaced traffic signs.

    In most cases, the local authority of the area where the accident occurred bears responsibility for the roads and road signs under their jurisdiction. If you have sustained injury or had any of your property damaged due to an accident caused by a misplaced road sign, you may be eligible for compensation from the local council.

    Local council’s responsibility

    The local city or county council is responsible for providing a wide range of services and facilities to the public. This includes provision and maintenance of infrastructure, such as roads and parks, as well as services such as refuse collection and water supply. The council is also charged with the task of installing, inspecting and maintaining road signs.

    If the local council neglects this duty, resulting in an accident, they can be sued for compensation by the affected parties. For this reason, all local councils are required to take out public liability insurance policies. This insurance provides them with cover against claims made by members of the public who have suffered damage to property or sustained injuries due to negligence or omission on the part of the council, its councillors, agents or employees.

    Open Claim Calculator

    What can I include in the claim?

    Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we can assist you to make a claim against the local council for misplaced road signs. Your claim will typically include:

    • Any medical expenses you incurred;
    • Loss of earnings or business profits you incurred as a result of the accident;
    • Cost of repairs (for your vehicle or other damaged property). You can also include the value of the car if it is written off as a result of the accident;
    • Other related costs; for example, transport costs incurred while your vehicle was being repaired.

    Make your claim today

    Making a claim for misplaced road signs can be a complex and long drawn out affair. That is why you are strongly advised to retain the services of a competent and experienced personal injury solicitor.

    Accident Advice Helpline can provide a solicitor who is qualified to handle your case. We have an expert team of solicitors nationwide and will find one to guide you through the claim process. We have a wealth of experience dealing with personal injury claims and will endeavour to make the whole process simple, fast and efficient for you.

    Remember, there is a time limit for filing claims in the UK, so it is advisable to begin the claim proceedings as early as possible. For more information on our services, call our free 24-hour helpline on 0800 180 4123. You can also use the claim form on our website to get in touch with us.

    Date Published: December 29, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Car accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.