How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Child hit by park ranger’s vehicle

    By Jonathan Brown on July 28, 2015

    Child hit by park ranger’s vehicle

    A council has been fined after a little girl was injured when a park ranger’s vehicle collided with her pushchair. The incident at the Robin Hood Festival in August 2011 left the three-year-old with bruising to her head and leg. Two employees of Nottinghamshire Council were in the lightweight all-terrain vehicle at the time.

    Risk assessment

    The workers were using the vehicle to travel around the venue, Sherwood Forest, while emptying litter. They lost control and collided with the child, who was seated in a pushchair, Mansfield Magistrates’ Court heard.

    An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the council had not undertaken a suitable and sufficient risk assessment for the work. Had it undertaken such an assessment, the HSE say that another method of collecting litter would have been used.

    The court was also told how council had previously received Improvement Notices from the HSE in relation to undertaking risk assessments. Nottinghamshire County Council pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(1)(b) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. It was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,597.

    Duty of care

    Councils have a duty of care to protect the general public at all times. They are charged with the provision of different facilities and services, bringing them into close contact with the public on an almost daily basis.

    Their responsibilities range from looking after parks and roads to services such as water supply and refuse collection, meaning they are vulnerable to public liability claims from nearly every member of the community.

    Claims against councils are therefore commonplace. They range from personal injury to damaged property, like when a council-operated or owned vehicle damages a car or the fencing around a property.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: July 28, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.