Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that is released by the incomplete burning of fuels such coal and wood. If you live in a rented house with a gas boiler or other appliances, these should be tested regularly for safety, as poorly-maintained boilers and cookers could leak, causing carbon monoxide poisoning. If you are a homeowner, it is a good idea to have your gas appliances tested regularly, and you should also consider installing a carbon monoxide detector, which can be picked up cheaply at DIY stores or online. This will ensure that you’re aware of carbon monoxide in the air before it’s too late, as many carbon monoxide poisoning deaths are caused by people being poisoned in their sleep. You should always ensure that appliances such as cookers and boilers are fitted by a qualified professional, to minimise the risk of faulty installation leaking toxic carbon monoxide into your home.
Carbon monoxide exposure effects
If you inhale carbon monoxide, it enters your blood stream and stops your blood from carrying oxygen around the body – your cells and tissue will begin to die. It can also cause brain swelling and damage to blood vessels. If you think you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, you may feel nauseous, confused or have abdominal pain or a severe headache. You should seek medical help straight away, as a simple blood test will show if you are suffering from the effects of inhalation.
Claiming for carbon monoxide poisoning compensation
If you have needed medical treatment as a result of inhaling carbon monoxide, you may have been required to take time off work until you recovered, resulting in a loss of earnings. Even if you haven’t suffered a loss of earnings, you should be able to claim compensation for your carbon monoxide poisoning if you believe it was someone else’s fault, for example, if your landlord fails to maintain gas appliances in your home properly. You could even claim employer negligence if your employer has taken risks that have led to you being exposed. Accident Advice Helpline can offer confidential, no-obligation advice and our helpline is open 24/7, where friendly advisors are always waiting to take your call. We can usually tell you within 30 seconds whether you have a viable claim, and if you decide to proceed, we operate a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’ service, so what have you got to lose? Call us today on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone and see how we can help you to claim compensation for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Date Published: November 19, 2013
Author: David Brown