How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Car accident swap details: Driver address

    However difficult it may seem, keeping a clear head in the immediate aftermath of a car accident can be vitally important.

    What should I do after a road traffic accident?

    Providing you are able, you should exit the car and check on the status of any other potentially injured parties.

    Do I need to call the police and provide my address?

    Not necessarily. Providing the incident on the road is sufficiently minor, you may not have to call the police. However, the incident should be reported within 24 hours to the local police station.

    Do I need to get the details, like the address, of anyone else involved?

    Without a doubt, yes. Providing both you and they are able to do so, you should exchange comprehensive details with anyone else involved in the vehicle accident.

    Why do I need the address of the other driver?

    It is important to get the address of the other vehicle’s driver because they may not necessarily be the owner.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Why does this matter?

    This matters because, whilst the DVLA will be able to contact the registered keeper, claims concerning untraced drivers can be altogether more complicated to pursue.

    Of course, it is always possible that they submit a false drver address, but to knowingly do so is illegal and could have serious ramifications.

    From your point of view, if there is a disagreement in terms of blame regarding a traffic accident claim, supplying a wrong driver address at the scene tips the balance heavily in your favour.

    When presenting your case, there is no such thing as too much detail. Courts are far more likely to look favourably upon comprehensive evidence and the provision of a thorough case.

    Therefore, it would be enormously beneficial to obtain as many contact details for the other parties involved in the traffic accident as possible.

    In addition,  you may also want to gather:

    –  Reports: Writing your own recollections of what happened as soon as possible can strengthen your case. The longer you leave it, the hazier your memory is likely to be

    –  Photographs: Get pictures of everything. All of it – the surrounding environment, the scene, the damage – can help your case.

    –  Witness statements from those not involved

    Professional guidance can be sought courtesy of Accident Advice Helpline’s Freephone service. From this initial consultation, they can take your case on and usually settle out of court. They boast over 13 years’ experience and Esther Rantzen’s recommendation.

    Date Published: January 28, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Car accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.