How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I get counselling for birth negligence?

    You can get counselling for birth negligence if you need it, and in some cases you may be able to get it paid for by the individual or organisation responsible for your suffering. Here at Accident Advice Helpline we can give you free, friendly advice at any time, so don’t hesitate to call us if you want to clarify your options.

    Don’t dismiss psychological distress as a minor problem or something you ought to sort out on your own – it’s as real as a physical injury and it could potentially have a serious impact on your life.

    Counselling options

    Generally speaking, it’s best to start counselling as soon as possible after experiencing trauma. This can prevent the problem from getting bigger. Although NHS counselling is available, there is often a waiting list. If you feel that it would be best for you to go private, so that you can see someone straight away, save your receipts and they can be included as part of a compensation claim.

    In order to claim for private treatment, you will need to ensure that the cost is reasonable, so don’t go for the highest quote you’re given. You should, however, be able to find a specialist counsellor via this route, which will improve your chances of making a good recovery.

    Peer support groups also exist for people who have been through birth trauma, and your doctor should be able to advise you about how to get in touch with them. They should not, however, be treated as a substitute for professional counselling.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Compensation for birth negligence

    If your midwife or hospital staff did something wrong or failed to do something important when you were giving birth, and if this happened less than three years ago, you may be able to make a compensation claim.

    You will need to have received medical treatment for your injuries (including any that developed in subsequent months but can be traced back to the birth). If you want to have counselling for birth negligence, you will need a doctor or professionally qualified therapist to certify that you need it and that it is liable to help you recover.

    The point of compensation in law is to help you return, as far as possible, to living your life the way that you were doing before things went wrong. This means that if you are unable to get on with your life because of a psychiatric problem such as post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), you should receive help so that you can overcome it.

    If you decide to make a compensation claim with Accident Advice Helpline, we will find you a specialist medical negligence solicitor who has experience of working on birth negligence claims.

    You will be able to deal with your solicitor over the phone to avoid your having to travel at a time when things are already difficult. Some of our clients don’t even have to appear in court. A successful claim can help you put your stress behind you for good.

    Date Published: December 3, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Medical negligence claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.