How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I get counselling for spinal cord trauma?

    If your doctor says that you need it in order to cope with your day-to-day life and you have a legitimate compensation claim, you can get counselling for spinal cord trauma funded as part of a settlement. Accident Advice Helpline can advise you on how to do so, and all calls to our helpline are free.

    Living with any past trauma can be difficult, but spinal cord damage can cause problems that are very much in the present. If you have chronic pain, difficulty moving around or loss of continence, it can be very difficult to adjust emotionally to the way this affects your life. Seeing a specialist counsellor can’t resolve your physical problems but it can make you much more able to living a rewarding life despite them, even in situations where this is difficult to imagine. Choosing to get counselling is a positive step that is all about reclaiming your place in the world.

    Access to counselling

    Counselling services are available on the NHS but sadly they do not receive much funding, which can mean that you have to wait in a long queue. It is also difficult to find NHS counsellors experienced in the specific sorts of problems you are likely to face. Often the best option is to go private. If you are able to do this at a reasonable price and you save your receipts, you may be able to claim the money back. You may also be able to claim funding for any future counselling that your doctor thinks is likely to help you.

    What do I need in order to claim?

    All standard compensation claims need to be made within three years of the accident happening unless you were a child at the time, in which case the limit is your 21st birthday. In case the claim turns out to be complicated, it is a good idea to take action earlier. This also makes it easier to gather evidence.  You will need a medical report on your injuries and how they happened – any doctor who treated you soon after the accident should be able to help, and your solicitor can assist with tracing them. It can also be helpful if you can provide a written report of how your injuries have affected you.

    Alongside these things, you will need a good solicitor – preferably one well-versed in medical rules and regulations, which can be complicated. At Accident Advice Helpline we can allocate you a specialist medical negligence solicitor who also has a good understanding of spinal injuries and will do all that is possible to ensure you can get counselling for spinal cord trauma.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Getting help

    If your claim is successful, you can expect to receive a good payout that will help with any practical adaptations and assistance you need to cope with your injuries. Receiving counselling alongside this means that your mental health will also be well looked after and you will be able to enjoy a much better quality of life.

    To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.

    Date Published: December 29, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.