How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim for a road accident if the other driver can’t be traced?

    Most of us know we are obliged to stop following a road accident, and to swap our details with all the other parties involved. This may involve one or more other drivers, depending on the situation we find ourselves in. However, would you know what to do if the other driver can’t be traced after leaving the scene straight after the accident happened?

    Most drivers are responsible people, and even if they cause an accident to happen, they will stop and exchange details as the law requires. However, there is a slim chance you could be injured in a car accident caused by a third party who then flees the scene. Could you still claim compensation for your injuries when you know nothing about the driver involved?

    A difference in the claims procedure

    In some instances, the police may be able to use information from eyewitnesses and from you to help them find the offending driver. If so, they will have their details and a compensation claim may be put forward to the driver’s insurer as would normally be the case.

    However, if the other driver can’t be traced, the Motor Insurers Bureau (sometimes referred to as MIB for short) might be your next best option. They handle claims relating to situations just like the one mentioned above. It is always best to have a lawyer to handle this for you though, as they will know how best to proceed.

    Were you in an accident and the other driver can’t be traced?

    If so, you will know how frustrating this is. You may be recovering from injuries caused by that other driver and experienced hassle they caused – and you cannot find them. This makes it harder to seek compensation but as we have seen it is not impossible.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If the other driver can’t be traced, don’t worry. Your best move would still be to contact Accident Advice Helpline to find out how we can help. Our personal injury lawyers have handled cases like this before, so we have the experience you are looking for. Call now on 0800 689 0500 (mobile users can ring 0333 500 0993). When you do, you’ll instantly have the benefit of our no-obligation advice, and that could make the world of difference when deciding whether to go ahead with a claim.

    Date Published: February 7, 2017

    Author: Rob Steen

    Category: Hit and run accident claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.