If you have been injured in a car accident whilst driving a rental car, you may be asking yourself, “Can I claim for a rental car accident?” Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 180 4123 and speak to one of our legal advisers to get an honest answer to this question.
Compensation claims for rental car accidents
Most people know that if you have been injured in a car accident and it was not your fault, you will be able to make a compensation claim. When it comes to rental cars, the same general rules will apply, even if you are driving a rental car outside of the United Kingdom.
In the event that you have a rental car accident, follow these steps in order to increase your chance of making a successful claim further down the line:
- As with any accident, your very first priority should be to seek medical attention. Once you have been cleared by a medical professional, you can begin collecting evidence.
- Call the local police and let them take your statement. It is important that you do not sign any statement that you cannot understand (for instance if you are in a foreign country and the statement is not written in English).
- Make sure to get a copy of the police report.
- If there was a third party involved, make sure to get all of their particulars. This includes the license plate number and their contact details.
- Notify the vehicle hire company of the accident.
- Keep a record of all costs that you had to meet as a direct result of the accident. This would include any medical expenses, travel costs to get home if the accident happened when you were abroad and even the excess you will have had to pay the car hire company.
How can I claim for a rental car accident?
Contact Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 180 4123. We offer a no-obligation, cost-free consultation via our 24-hour helpline. Our legal advisers are highly trained and will be able to give you an honest assessment of the strength of your claim. Once they have discussed your rental car accident with you, they will also be able to refer you to the best lawyer to handle your claim.
If at any point you have any questions about how a claim would work, our legal adviser will be able to answer these and walk you through the whole process. You also do not need to worry about the cost of starting your rental car accident claim as all of our solicitors work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis. That means if we cannot win your compensation claim, you do not pay anything.
Curious about how much your rental car accident claim could be worth? Try our quick test at the top of the page. It only takes 30 seconds to complete.
Or call Accident Advice Helpline now. You have nothing to lose.
Date Published: January 2, 2014
Author: David Brown
Category: Car accident claims