How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim for a hit and run accident?

    Can I claim for a hit and run accident?

    If you have been involved in a road traffic accident and are not able to trace the person responsible for causing your injuries, you may well ask the question ”Can I claim for a hit and run accident?” While it may not be as simple as claiming against the guilty party, you will be pleased to learn that you can go to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau, an organisation that was set up by the insurance industry and work in conjunction with the Department of Transport. This scheme is specifically designed to ensure that the victims of untraced and uninsured drivers receive the compensation they deserve. Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we are happy to provide you with advice on how to go about making a successful claim.

    What it covers

    The fund managed by the MIB is subject to limitations that do not apply in other cases. It only covers personal injury compensation and damage to property, including vehicles, and carries a £300 excess on the latter. Property claims must be submitted within nine months of the accident taking place, while personal injury compensation claims are subject to the usual three-year limit. Having said that, the amount of compensation you can expect for any given injury is the same as it would be in other cases. Our advisors use their experience of past cases to help you calculate approximately how much that might be.

    Things to do

    In view of the tighter rules relating to MIB cases, it is important that you do not waste any time in taking action. First, you should see a doctor in order to ensure there is a medical record of your injuries, even if you do not feel that they warrant medical intervention.

    Secondly, you should contact the police to discuss the incident. If you wish to make a property damage claim, you will have to do so within five days of the accident; for personal injury claims, you have two weeks. If you are too seriously hurt to comply with any or all of these requirements, you can appoint someone else to act on your behalf. We will be happy to advise you on how to go about this.

    If you were driving a vehicle when you were hit, you will also need to contact your insurer. The police and your insurance company will both have access to records that could help them to track down the guilty party, in which case you could simply claim against them in the traditional way. In order to pay compensation from their fund, the MIB will need to be convinced that it has proven to be impossible to trace the guilty driver.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Accident Advice Helpline

    With all this to contend with at a time when you are unlikely to be feeling great, making a compensation claim for a hit and run accident can often be overwhelming, which is why we are here to help. If you decide to take advantage of the service we offer, our extensive network of solicitors means that we can guarantee you high quality representation. We believe that you should have access to all the compensation the law says you are entitled to, no matter whether the driver who hit you can be traced or not.

    Call us on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: October 23, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.