How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can you claim for food poisoning abroad?

    The last thing anybody wants to happen on their summer holiday is to be struck down by food poisoning abroad, but it can and does happen, and it’s surprisingly common. With poor food hygiene and hot temperatures abroad, you could easily suffer from a nasty bout of food poisoning that could leave you feeling very unwell.

    When you get back to the UK, you might find yourself wondering if you’re eligible to make a claim for compensation for your pain and suffering – as well as your financial losses, if your holiday has been ruined. Accident Advice Helpline could help you make a claim, provided it has been three years or less since you were ill – but there are a few other criteria that are important to meet to.

    Are you eligible for compensation for food poisoning abroad?

    If you booked a package holiday with a tour operator in the UK then you could find you’re eligible to claim compensation for food poisoning abroad if you have become ill after eating at your hotel or whilst on an organised excursion. You can’t claim food poisoning if you have been struck down after eating at a restaurant in your resort though. That’s because your tour operator takes responsibility for the quality of the accommodation and the service they provide you with whilst you’re abroad, so if you become ill or injured at your accommodation or whilst on an excursion, they could be held liable.

    If you’ve booked your own flight and accommodation independently online, unfortunately you won’t be eligible to claim compensation if you suffer from food poisoning, even if it’s caused by eating at your hotel.

    How do you make a claim?

    If your holiday has been ruined by food poisoning then getting in touch with Accident Advice Helpline is a great first step to take. Once you’re back home, you can give our team a call on 0800 689 0500 (or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile) to find out more about making a claim. There are no upfront fees to worry about – great if your bank balance is still suffering after your holiday – as our lawyers work on a 100% no-win, no-fee basis, and it’s free to call our 0800 number.

    Open Claim Calculator

    We’ve been helping people since 2000, and we specialise in personal injury law, so we’ve helped hundreds of people claim compensation for food poisoning after a holiday abroad.

    Date Published: November 23, 2016

    Author: Paula Beaton

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.