How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim for criminal injury?

    We are often asked, “Can I claim for criminal injury?” If you are a victim of a violent crime, your UK residency or citizenship gives you the right to claim for compensation. The scheme that allows you to receive compensation for being a victim of an act of violence is controlled by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), a legal body that allocates money to blameless victims of criminal injuries, based on certain criteria.

    Qualification criteria

    To be successful you must have been injured in a violent crime. While crimes include any offence sanctioned by the criminal justice system, you may receive compensation only if you are “blameless,” which means that you must not be associated with the act of violence in any way.

    Types of injuries

    The CICA accepts any kind of physical and psychological injury compensation claim as long as it is serious and can be backed up with medical evidence. If the crime ends in the death of a close relative, you can contact us at Accident Advice Helpline, knowing that we are able to help you obtain rightful compensation from the CICA, or from the person who is directly responsible for your regrettable loss. However, regardless of what type of injury you have suffered, you must make the claim within two years of the incident or no award will be made. If you incurred further losses as a result of your injury, you may claim compensation for them only if you can submit evidence to support your claim.

    Making the application

    If you intend to file a compensation claim against the CICA, you must complete a standard application form, providing all the details requested. If you fail to deliver this information your application will be returned without any action being taken.

    After the CICA receives your application, they will start their own investigation, verifying the details you have provided on the application form. Once the investigation is completed, a representative will contact you with their final decision.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If your application is rejected or if you consider that the amount of compensation the CICA offers is lower than the award you are actually entitled to, you can ask for an official review. If you find the review unsatisfactory, it would be wise to take legal advice from one of our experts in criminal injury compensation claims. With the support of this professional, you can appeal to the Tribunal Services, which will review your claim and give you a final answer.

    If you accept CICA’s ruling, the compensation award will be paid via electronic bank transfer in a maximum of four weeks of the decision. If you have filed the compensation claim on behalf of your child, the CICA will hold the award in a special investment account that the child can access only after he or she turns 18.

    If you are looking for a definitive answer to the question, ‘Can I claim for criminal injury’ you only have to contact us, the advocates working at the Accident Advice Helpline. Experts in a wide range of injury matters, we will ensure that your claim complies with the legislation governing criminal injury compensation.

    Date Published: October 12, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Criminal injury claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.