How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim on behalf of my young child?

    We can give you a very short answer to the question, “Can I claim on behalf of my young child?” Yes, you can. At Accident Advice Helpline we know how important injury compensation is for the people who are injured through no fault of their own. Unfortunately, hundreds of individuals responsible for serious accidents are not held accountable for their actions and this is only because their victims remain silent. But things are different when the victim is an innocent child, especially your child.

    Who can claim on behalf of a child?

    Under UK law, two people have the right to claim compensation on behalf of a child: the parent or the guardian. Also referred to as “litigation friend,” the parent or the guardian is usually appointed to represent the best interests of a child in a court of law. This means that if you are claiming compensation on behalf of your child you must be able to conduct the legal proceedings competently.

    Additionally, you have to demonstrate that there are no conflicts of interest in acting on behalf your child. As a parent or guardian, you cannot represent your child if you are deemed responsible for the accident in which he or she was injured. It is also important to know that you must cover any costs that the child is ordered to pay for court proceedings.

    Any injury compensation claim must include a comprehensive medical report, details about the accident, and contact information of any eyewitnesses.

    In what circumstances can you claim compensation for your injured child?

    You can make a compensation claim on behalf of your child if he or she is under 18 years of age and has been injured in:

    Open Claim Calculator

    • A road accident as a passenger, cyclist or pedestrian – to be certain that your child is entitled to compensation you need to prove that someone else was responsible for the accident. You should take the name, telephone number and address of any passer-by who is willing to support your case
    • An accident at nursery or school – if you child has suffered an injury whilst at school, due to poorly maintained equipment or footpath, for example, you are entitled to make a compensation claim
    • An accident on holiday – if your child has been injured whilst on holiday, you should immediately report the accident to the travel representative, if there is one; make a note of the circumstances relating to the accident and take the personal details of eyewitnesses. If you intend to claim prescription costs, doctor fees and travelling expenses, be sure to keep any receipts
    • An accident in a public place – if your child was involved in an accident inside a public building you can claim against the owner’s insurance company, if the accident was caused by his or her negligence.

    “Can I claim on behalf of my young child?” is a question no parent wants to ask, but if he or she has been injured as the result of someone else’s actions and you would like to find out more about your entitlement to make a claim for compensation, you should contact us by calling our toll free number 0800 689 0500. One of our experienced solicitors is ready to ensure you receive compensation for your child’s suffering.

    Date Published: October 16, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.