How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim for an accident as a train driver?

    Claiming compensation for an injury caused by a workplace accident is possible, even if you are partially at fault for that accident. To help you understand different aspects relating to making such a claim, the experts working at Accident Advice Helpline have compiled important information, offering a complete answer to questions such as ‘Can I claim for an accident as a train driver?

    Train drivers and accidents at work

    Working as a train driver can be a dangerous occupation. One reason for this is that the potential injuries resulting from railway accidents can change the life of a train driver for good. Regardless of whether you have slipped or tripped and fallen on a railway platform, sustained an electric shock due to faulty equipment, or experienced a collision with another vehicle, one of the most important things that you need to know is that the Workmen’s Compensation Act 1979 will protect your rights.

    According to this Act, an employee who gets injured at work because of hazards, insufficient training, or inadequate equipment should receive financial compensation for his or her recovery time and future losses. The compensation award that workers are entitled to receive for workplace injuries is overseen by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which manages and supervises the regulations by which employers and employees should govern themselves.

    According to the regulations set by the HSE, for example, all employers (except for police branches, some nationalised industry sectors, off-shore operations, and certain publicly funded organisations) must have liability insurance to cover work accidents and potential lawsuits. The market standard is typically double for extremely hazardous workplaces, such as the railway sector.

    Getting compensation

    In the UK, the best way to receive the compensation you rightfully deserve for your suffering and resulting financial losses is to approach a team of experienced personal injury experts.  This is because victims of workplace accidents have an obligation to demonstrate that a tragic event occurred as a result of another party’s negligence or breach of duty.  Sometimes, establishing liability is very complicated, so having knowledgeable legal experts on your side increases your chances of success. A solicitor who specialises in labour or tort law can easily assess your case and provide relevant information to help you to decide whether your claim is worth pursuing.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Another thing that you need to know in order to get a comprehensive answer to questions such as ‘Can I claim for an accident as a train driver?’ is that you will qualify for compensation only if you have sustained one or more serious injuries as a result of the accident.

    If you are not sure whether the injuries you have suffered are serious enough to qualify for compensation, you can contact Accident Advice Helpline on their freephone number – 0800 689 0500. Our legal experts are ready to study your case and offer you competent legal advice. If you have already decided to file a compensation claim against the person or company responsible for your suffering, we invite you to complete our online claim form, and our personal injury specialists will get back to you as soon as they can.

    Date Published: February 15, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.