How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim for an accident as a school teacher?

    Accidents, assaults and discrimination in the workplace are several factors that give teachers good reasons to ask for millions of pounds in compensation each year. The highest compensation payout for an accident at school last year was £222,215, given to a teacher who suffered a severe head injury after being hit with a bus door by a pupil. If you ask us, “Can I claim for an accident as a school teacher?” we can tell you that any teacher can claim compensation for an accident at school as long as another person is responsible for it.

    How much you can claim

    If you have a valid compensation claim following an accident that has occurred on school property, you could obtain a compensation award between one thousand and hundreds of thousands of pounds. For instance, you could receive compensation for being punched by one of your pupils or for slipping on water. For severe injuries, you could receive up to £50,000 if you can prove that your employer did not take enough care in providing safe facilities for teachers and pupils.

    If you have suffered an injury as a result of an accident at school, our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you claim compensation. Complete our claim enquiry form or call 0800 689 0500 as soon as you are ready to talk about your case. If you wonder why you need a reputable solicitor on your side, it is imperative to know that only an experienced and knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can help you prove that the injury that you have suffered was a “reasonably foreseeable” consequence of your employer’s negligence.

    Filing your claim

    To help you with your claim, you have to hand over to us as much information and evidence as possible, including police reports, witness information, photographs, medical records, and receipts for medical treatment and other expenses relating to your injury.

    Elements that will be considered

    The UK courts consider two different elements when assessing a claim: general damages, which describe the pain and suffering that you have gone through along with loss of amenity (inability to complete specific tasks that you used to do in the past), and special damages, which are typically awarded for financial losses and expenses incurred as a direct result of the injury.

    Open Claim Calculator

    In addition, courts take into account special cases, where teachers are no longer able to continue their employment. In this case, the cost for care and equipment necessary during and after the recovery period will also be factored into the compensation award. If you are still able to work but not in the same role, our solicitors will try to obtain a higher compensation award in order to cover the loss of “congenial employment”. Sometimes, courts are willing to offer victims of workplace accidents, especially if they are left with permanent impairment, a supplementary financial award, which recognises that their prospects on the labour market are limited.

    We hope that this information provides a comprehensive answer to your question, “Can I claim for an accident as a school teacher?” For additional details, please contact us at Accident Advice Helpline.

    Date Published: February 9, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.