Can I claim for an accident in a hotel abroad?

Holidays are something that we all look forward to, whether it is a weekend break in a city or a cruise around the Mediterranean. The last thing on our minds is thinking about accidents. Claiming for an accident that occurs in the UK is generally straightforward, but when the accident occurs in a country where the language and customs are different, the answer to the question, ‘Can I claim for an accident in a hotel abroad?’ can seem much more daunting. However, even though claiming for an accident abroad is more difficult than making a claim in the UK, an experienced legal firm such as Accident Advice Helpline can help you through the procedure and make it easier.

All hotels no matter where they are located in the world must look after the health and safety of their customers. Accidents in hotels can range from minor trips, slips or falls to more serious accidents such as electrocution due to faulty equipment or wiring. The consequences of some accidents can be long lasting, and if the accident was due to someone else’s negligence then you may be entitled to make a claim.

Generally, a client will be advised to take their claim to the UK as the procedure is easier, levels of compensation are usually higher and it usually means that the claim will be resolved quicker. However, claims can be taken abroad. The costs will be different and it may take longer depending on the number of parties involved and how the tour operator chooses to resolve the case. Obtaining evidence can also be more difficult abroad.

Under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations of 1992, tour operators are liable for any damage caused to a holidaymaker by improper performance of the contract or a failure to perform the contract. However, there are exceptions and if there was no breach of duty or no fault, then establishing liability can be difficult. Accident Advice Helpline can advise you on this, but it should be understood that safety standards in many countries, particularly developing countries, are not as high as in the UK. This means that if local standards were met, the tour operator might not be liable.

Just as with cases in the UK you will need to provide evidence of how the accident occurred. If possible you should take the names and addresses of witnesses and take photographs of where the accident occurred. Any additional expenses that you incur such as travel expenses, prescriptions or medical treatments should be recorded and receipts retained. Even if you were travelling without travel insurance you can still make a claim for an accident abroad.

Dealing with an accident abroad can be daunting and for some people it might seem too difficult. However, with an experienced law firm such as Accident Advice Helpline, which has a proven track record of helping individuals with their personal injury claims, whether in the UK or abroad you may be able to get compensation for your accident.

To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )