How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Builder ‘put family’s lives at risk’

    By Jonathan Brown on February 20, 2016

    Builder ‘put family’s lives at risk’

    A family was put in danger of deadly carbon monoxide poisoning by a builder who wasn’t registered to carry out work on gas appliances and flues, a court has been told.

    Richard Copp, who had been hired to build a two-storey extension at a house in Woolwell, Plymouth, admitted three breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

    Suspended jail sentence

    The Plymouth-based builder was given a suspended 8-month prison sentence and ordered to pay costs of £500.

    Copp carried out the work in June 2013, Plymouth Magistrates’ Court heard. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was alerted after a registered Gas Safe engineer classified his work as ‘Immediately Dangerous’.

    The engineer had found that while the gas boiler was still in operation and with the family still living in the house, the flue had opened into the extension and been extended with an inappropriate section of piping.

    That meant carbon monoxide gas could have escaped and poisoned those living at the property.

    Builder not registered with Gas Safe

    The court heard an HSE investigation had established that Copp was not registered with Gas Safe.

    Following the court case, HSE inspector Simon Jones said Copp had put the family’s lives at risk by ignoring a law which states that only engineers on the Gas Safe register can work with gas.

    He said while the flue should have taken waste gases outside the property it had actually ended inside the house.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: February 20, 2016

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.