How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Builder installed dangerous boilers

    By David Brown on June 17, 2014

    The lives of two families were put in danger by a builder who illegally installed boilers at their homes, leaving them at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Dangerous boiler

    Monwar Ali faced action after a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that a boiler installed at a house on Norbury Avenue in Hyde was in an immediately dangerous condition.

    The 40-year-old, who did not have gas qualifications and was not registered, carried out a £21,000 loft conversion at the house in 2011, Manchester Crown Court heard.

    Fumes threat

    Ali removed the flue pipe linked to the boiler and did not replace it for almost eight weeks, allowing fumes to leak into the house where the family, including young children, were still living.

    The danger was discovered during a routine annual check by a gas engineer in August 2011 which revealed a high carbon monoxide reading and the wrong flue pipe in place.

    The family had to spend almost £500 on new pipework and relocating the boiler downstairs.

    Customer misled

    Ali, of Syddall Street, Hyde, also carried out a £50,000 two-floor extension at a house on Harbour Farm Road that year.

    The customer believed he was gas registered because he displayed the Gas Safe Register logo on the written quote he provided.

    Ali moved the gas boiler twice, firstly from an outhouse to the then-kitchen before moving it into the extension’s new kitchen.

    Boiler defects

    He also tried to repair the boiler in July that year after it broke down. Eight defects were found with the boiler when it was inspected.

    Ali admitted six breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 between December 28 2010 and August 31 2011.

    He was given a community order of 220 hours’ unpaid work, to be carried out in the next 12 months, and must also pay £2,000 towards the costs of prosecution.

    If you are wondering can I claim compensation, Accident Advice Helpline can advise.

    Source: Manchester Evening News

    Share On


    Date Published: June 17, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.