Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Bone fracture above the wrist

Accident Advice Helpline deals with many types of injuries involving the arm. They help people who have been hurt in accidents that were not their fault to claim compensation from the person who was at fault for the accident. If the accident was a road traffic accident then this could be a driver of another car and it is common for the compensation to be paid out of a motor insurance policy.

If the accident was at work then it will probably be the employer that was to blame and the compensation is often paid out of an employer’s liability insurance policy. An arm injury can be categorised as a lower wrist bone fracture (which involves the lower wrist and hand) or a bone fracture above the wrist.

Lower wrist fracture

The area of the arm below the arm is basically the hand but the structure of the hand is far from basic! There are many small bones in this area of the body and they can all suffer a fracture in an accident that was not your fault. Broken finger bones and hand bones can be both painful and inconvenient. You may not be able to work and this can cost you money. Accident Advice Helpline can help you to claim for the lower wrist fracture itself and for the money that you have lost because you are injured.

Bone fracture above the wrist

If you have snapped the bones in a bone fracture above the wrist then you will have broken your radius or ulna. A bone fracture above the wrist can be a simple or complicated injury depending on how the bones move around during and after the accident. If the bones have just cracked but not moved out of position then the injury will probably be treated by encasing the lower arm in plaster for a few weeks. In most cases this is sufficient treatment and once the plaster is removed you can get back to your normal life.

A bone fracture above wrist level can be much more serious than this. If the bones have moved out of position, then they will have to be moved back again and this is carried out by a doctor – it is called reduction. If they have only moved slightly then you will probably be sedated and the procedure will be carried out in Accident and Emergency.

However, if the bones have moved a long way out of position or are shattered into many pieces you will need an operation. An orthopaedic surgeon will put the bones back together and may use a selection of metal plates and pins to do this. The affected limb will then be placed in plaster for the bone to heal.

Claiming for your injuries

If you have suffered any type of injury that was not your own fault, get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline to discuss claiming compensation for your injuries. Call us on 0800 689 5659.