How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Bin man accident claim

    Bin man accident claim

    If you are a refuse collector and have recently been injured while working, then you may be able to make a bin man accident claim. Bin men operate heavy vehicles and lift heavy objects and equipment as part of their work, exposing them to risks and hazards if they have not been properly trained. If you think that a third party could have prevented your injuries, or instead contributed to them due to negligence, then Accident Advice Helpline can make a claim against them. By doing so, you could secure a sum of money to pay for expenses such as lost income and medical bills.

    Possible injuries

    Your employer has a duty of care to protect you at work. If you are a bin man, then you must know how to exit the lorry safely, and how to collect general waste using heavy equipment. Your employer may be liable if they failed to implement simple health and safety precautions and it resulted in you sustaining injuries. You could claim, for example, if you were injured while loading a bin into your truck and the machinery malfunctioned. Any injuries caused by a fellow employee could also count as negligence. As councils are responsible for managing bin collections, it is they who will be held responsible if the injuries you suffered were outside of your control.

    There are many other examples of negligence. If you were carrying a dustbin and tripped over a loose paving stone, then your employer (the council) may be liable as it is their responsibility to maintain pavements and highways. In these circumstances, the hazard usually has to be one inch in height for you to be eligible to file a claim. There are very specific requirements for some accidents, so call our free, 24-hour helpline to see whether you can claim for your work injuries.

    You can also make a no win, no fee** claim if you were exposed to loud noises, or if repetitive strain resulted in serious back injuries. There have been successful claims in the past due to hearing loss; refuse collectors work alongside recycling equipment and noisy bin lorries that can leave them with tinnitus and other impediments that can affect their daily lives. If your employer was to blame in some way, then you can claim.

    Filing a claim

    Our expert solicitors will collect evidence to maximise your compensation. They will try and prove that the local authority was negligent by providing witness statements, photographs, and other relevant information. We will take care of most of the red tape though we recommend that you ensure that a note of the accident is made in the ‘accident report book’ kept by your employer after the accident.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Getting in touch

    If you are finding it difficult to fund medical bills, or are struggling to support your family because of lost income then let us work for you. Accident Advice Helpline can make your life easier. Compensation is your right if the accident was not your fault. You should not have to pay for other people’s mistakes, so call us for free today on 0800 689 0500 to get started.

    Date Published: July 21, 2015

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Accident at work claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.