Here in the UK, we get our fair share of bad weather, and unfortunately more road traffic accidents happen during inclement weather than when it’s fine and sunny! There are a number of reasons for this, so let’s look at what some of the main ones are:
- People are rushing – rushing to get home, rushing to get through traffic lights and making risky decisions.
- Weather conditions make driving hazardous: icy roads, rain or snow can all cause accidents.
- Poor visibility – your car windows may be wet or misty, reducing your visibility.
- Distractions – during bad weather, people are often distracted by kids in the car or adjusting the heating, taking their attention off the road.
- Pedestrians are rushing to get out of the rain or snow, often taking risks which lead to accidents.
It’s all too easy to become involved in a road traffic accident when the weather is bad. Reduced visibility, careless driving or taking risks can all lead to an accident, and if you are involved in an accident through no fault of your own, you could claim for compensation.
Reducing your risk
There are a number of steps you can take to reduce your risk of accidents during bad weather. If it is raining, snowing or icy, it’s a good idea to leave plenty of extra time to reach your destination. It’s also important to check your vehicle before you set off – make sure that you have topped up your anti-freeze and check your tyre tread and pressure. Poor tyre pressure or worn tyres will affect your braking, and this will be particularly noticeable in icy or wet conditions.
How we can help
Sometimes accidents do happen and there is nothing you can do to stop them; perhaps someone else was driving too fast in the snow and hit your vehicle. In cases like this, you could claim for personal injury compensation, and you’ll need the services of a specialist lawyer.
Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we are backed by our patron Esther Rantzen, TV personality and UK consumer champion, and because we are accredited by Lexcel, the Law Society’s practice management standard, you know you can trust us to assist you with every step of your claim for compensation. We know that the aftermath of a road traffic accident can often be incredibly traumatic, whether you or someone you love has been injured, and we will work with you on a 100% no win, no fee* basis to get you the compensation you deserve. So call us today on 0800 689 0500 and see how we can help you.Open Claim Calculator