The American road trip is an iconic holiday scenario. Blasting through the various States and taking in the sights from the highway is many people’s idea of a dream getaway. However, there is one major danger awaiting drivers across North America – deer.
The elegant creatures cause huge amounts of road accidents in the USA, and something that travellers should be aware of in case of any travel accident compensation claims.
How can I prevent deer from causing a holiday mishap?
Through the dense forests of America deer are commonplace. Naturally some stray onto the roads causing a potential hazard for drivers travelling from A to B. This shouldn’t put you off your holiday, so here are a few tips for avoiding the animals:
- Check Signs – Areas where you may encounter deer are always well signposted. Local authorities are keen to prevent accidents and will display signs or announcements to warn drivers of any possible dangers. It’s always wise to look out for these.
- Slow Down – Higher speeds don’t just make avoiding deer more difficult, they can actually make potential impacts fatal. It’s estimated that 130 people die each year from collisions with the animals, so avoiding them is certainly a wise idea.
- Avoid Night-Time Journeys when Possible – Deer-based accidents are more common during the hours of darkness. With visibility low, and more of the animals roaming around, night time can be particularly dangerous, so avoiding travelling during those hours is advisable. Sunset and sunrise are the most hazardous times according to research.
- Concentrate – Deer won’t just stick to areas filled with signposts and warnings, so it is very important to keep your wits about you at all times. Paying attention is of course, a key element of driving anywhere, but it’s even more vital in regions where deer are located.
- Don’t flash your lights – The phrase ‘deer in the headlights’ is frequently used for a reason. Bright lights startle the animals, often causing them to freeze in the road. In this event an accident is almost unavoidable.
The North American road trip can be the holiday of a lifetime. Like any journey there are hazards, but following our tips could help prevent a vacation-based accident that could live long in the memory.
Date Published: November 10, 2013
Author: David Brown