It’s a fact of life that car crash accidents are unfortunately all too common, but there are a number of steps you can take to protect yourself on the road. From ensuring your vehicle is roadworthy to taking regular breaks when driving and obeying the Highway Code, you can keep yourself and your passengers safe, and avoid a car accident.
Staying safe on the road
Here are a few examples of steps you can take to stay safe when driving:
- Avoid distraction – don’t check on children or animals, fiddle with an MP3 player, eat or drink whilst driving or apply make-up, and don’t use a mobile phone! Research shows that you’re more likely to have an accident even if you’re using a hands-free kit, as your mind is not on the road
- Take regular breaks on long journeys – stop and stretch your legs, and have something to eat and drink
- Follow road signs carefully and pay attention to other drivers and pedestrians when doing so
- Always check your mirrors when pulling out, changing lanes etc.
- Take extra care when driving in adverse weather conditions such as rain or snow and leave extra space between your vehicle and the one in front
- Ensure your car is roadworthy – your MOT and service log should be up to date and you should check your tyre pressure and tread as well as your oil and coolant levels before a long journey
Of course, sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid a car accident which is caused by someone else’s negligent driving, but by following the above tips you can reduce your risk of a crash.
Claiming for compensation after a car accident
All the safe driving in the world doesn’t mean you won’t be involved in a car crash – another distracted driver could pull out and hit your car, causing whiplash injuries or worse. If this happens to you, you could be eligible to claim for compensation, and the quickest way to find out how much you could claim is by using the 30-second test on our website. You’ll need the services of a personal injury compensation lawyer, and here at Accident Advice Helpline our specialist team are waiting to take your call 24/7. It’s free to call and we offer confidential, no-obligation advice, so even if you just have a few questions about the claims process, we can help. If you decide you want to push ahead with a claim, we offer a 100% no win, no fee* service, so that you’ll get to keep more of your compensation should your claim be successful.
To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.Open Claim Calculator