Riding a motorcycle is a fun and uplifting experience; in fact, it’s one of the most exciting forms of transport! But you should be aware that on a motorbike you’re extremely vulnerable to other traffic; you don’t have the protection of a car or van if you’re involved in an accident. Motorbike accidents happen frequently, and they’re usually caused by other drivers not paying attention to motorcyclists or by those riding motorcycles taking risks.
Avoiding motorbike accidents
The good news is that there are steps you can take to avoid accidents when riding your motorcycle – here are a few tips:
- Don’t ride when it’s snowing or if road conditions are poor – leave the bike at home and consider other forms of transport
- Take a motorcycle training course or refresher course to ensure you stay safe
- Reduce your speed when it’s raining – rain can really impact your visibility and can also make it harder for other drivers to see you
- Wear high-visibility clothing on your motorcycle and ensure you use your lights where necessary, so that you’re always visible to other road users
- Slow down on corners – this is where many accidents happen
- Don’t ride in another driver’s blind spot – if they try to manoeuvre or change lanes they could hit you
- Keep your distance from the vehicle in front, especially in wet weather
- Be cautious – always presume that other drivers can’t see you as this will help you to ride more safely
Compensation for motorcycle accidents
Motorcycle accidents can cause serious injury, or even death. If you’ve been injured as a result of an accident that wasn’t your fault, you could claim compensation. Head for Accident Advice Helpline’s website where you’ll find our 30-second test – this will give you an idea how much you could claim. Then give us a call on our 24/7 freephone helpline – 0800 689 0500 – and we’ll talk you through what happens next.
Our patron, Esther Rantzen, TV personality and UK consumer champion, recommends us for our professional service, so you know you can trust us to deal with your claim. There’s no need to worry about attending court either, as most claims can be processed in full over the phone, and we offer a 100% no win, no fee service, so even if you’re struggling to pay your medical bills, we can still help you. Call us today and our specialist team of personal injury lawyers will be happy to discuss your claim in more detail.
Date Published: January 12, 2014
Author: David Brown