How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Your child is injured at a public playground, now what?

    Those responsible for the upkeep of a public playground have a duty of care to prevent personal injuries. If your child was injured at a public playground, you may be entitled to claim compensation if it can be proven that the responsible authority was in breach of this duty.

    Dangers at a public playground

    This may, for instance, be the case if equipment or pathways have been allowed to fall into a dangerous state of disrepair, or if potentially dangerous litter, such as broken glass, needles, other sharps, and so on, have not been cleared up.


    In order to claim for personal injury compensation, it is necessary to gather supporting evidence.

    This may, for instance, include photographs of the piece of equipment that caused the injury, such as an injury by a sharp edge on a slide or swing, for example, or a pothole responsible for an injury by tripping and falling.

    Witness statements will also be helpful. Naturally, you will need to seek medical assistance for your child.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Why seeking medical assistance is import

    This is important for two reasons. First of all, you need to see a doctor or visit an emergency hospital to ensure your child’s accidental injury is tended to and is not worse than immediately apparent.

    Secondly, your child’s medical records will document the extent of the injury and any medication or treatment your child needed to recover from it.

    Other evidence

    You should also keep any receipts for medical expenses, transport costs, or provision of care, if, for example, you have to work and have to employ someone to look after your child as a result of their playground injury.

    When to claim

    When adults are injured by slips, trips and falls on a public playground, claims must be made within no more than three years following their slip, trip or fall.

    When a minor is injured in an accident on the playground, the claim must be initiated within three years of the child’s 18th birthday.

    What to do next

    Next, call us here at Accident Advice Helpline and discuss your child’s playground-related accident with an advisor, who will be able to advise you when and how to proceed from here.

    Our freephone lines, 0800 689 0500 if you are calling from a landline, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, are obligation-free, open 24/7, and confidential.

    Date Published: August 1, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.