How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who’s liable if a pothole causes a car accident?

    If you’’re prepping for the road trip of a lifetime this summer, it’’s wise to be aware of some of the risks of driving long distances to avoid road traffic accidents. Every year, thousands of people are caught up in a car accident on the road, many of which could be prevented.

    What causes car crashes?

    There are many different factors, which may contribute to road accidents. Most car crashes are caused by driver error; examples of errors may include speeding, drink driving, failing to look before pulling out or not noticing other vehicles. The weather can often increase the risk of collisions on the roads and the road surface may also play a part.

    Car crash injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to fatal and life-limiting injuries.

    Who is liable if a pothole causes a car accident?

    If your car has been damaged by a pot hole or you’’ve been involved in a car accident as a result of a pothole in the road, you may be thinking about claiming compensation.

    Local councils and organisations, such as the Highways Agency, are responsible for maintaining local and national roads. In cases where pot holes have already been reported to the council, it may be possible to make a claim for a car accident.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If the pothole has not previously been reported, the chances of claiming against the council are very slim. This is because councils are protected against claims when they are unaware of issues on the roads.

    Making a claim for car accident injuries

    If you think you may have a viable claim for a road accident and you would like to pursue compensation, it’’s important to notify the relevant authorities and collect as much evidence as you can. Report potholes to the local council and notify the police about your accident. Take photographs of the vehicles and the road surface.

    See a doctor to have your injuries assessed and ask anyone who saw the incident if they would be willing to provide a witness statement.

    Once you have the information you need, call Accident Advice Helpline. If you have a viable road accident claim, we can start building your case and trying to secure you the compensation you deserve.

    We have over 15 years’ experience in the industry and our personal injury lawyers will do everything they can to process your claim as efficiently as possible. Call us today on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone.

    Date Published: April 6, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.