How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who’s liable for damage caused by burst water mains?

    If you’’ve experienced a water leak at home as a result of burst water mains, you may be wondering who is responsible for repairs and liable for damage.

    If you’’ve had a slip, trip or fall, it’’s often relatively simple to work out who is liable. In cases of damage at home involving burst water mains, it can be trickier. If you would like advice about claiming compensation or finding out who is liable for unexpected costs, contact Accident Advice Helpline.

    What should I do if my home has been damaged by burst water mains?

    If you have a water leak or your home has flooded as a result of burst water mains, contact your water supplier. Liability often comes down to the section of the pipe which has been damaged.

    If you rent your home, check your contract, as your landlord will usually be responsible for maintaining the pipes which deliver your water supply.

    Generally speaking, the water company is responsible for leaks associated with the communication pipe, including burst water mains. You, or your landlord, are typically in charge of maintaining the supply pipe.

    If your contract states that the landlord is responsible for the supply pipe, they should foot the repair bill.

    If your home has been damaged by problems with the communication pipe, get in touch with the water provider and ask what you need to do to claim towards the cost of repairs. The water company may send a representative around to value the damage caused by the burst water mains.

    When can I claim compensation?

    If you’’ve been injured as a result of an accident in a public place, for example you sustained injuries after slipping on a public footpath as a result of a burst water pipe, you may be able to claim public liability compensation.

    If the local authority is responsible for maintaining the pipes and there was a fault, which caused your injury, you may wish to discuss claiming no-win, no-fee* compensation with one of our friendly advisors.

    If you have a valid case and you would like to go ahead and begin the claims process, your claim will be passed to an experienced personal injury lawyer.

    Gather as much information about the accident as possible and visit our website or call on freephone 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile. We have over 15 years’ experience in handling personal injury claims and our expert legal team will endeavour to get you the slip and trip payout you deserve with minimal hassle.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.