How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    When a house guest makes a claim against you

    Home owners are responsible for the safety of those entering their property. This means you could be held liable for any injuries by slips, trips and falls, electrocution or other accidents within your home that could and should have been prevented by you. Here is what could happen when a house guest makes a claim against you.

    When a house guest makes a claim

    In order to successfully claim against you, your guest will have to show that you were responsible for their accidental injury.

    If the accident was a slip, trip or fall, for example, they will have to prove that it was something you did or did not do that caused their trip, slip or fall injury. Their ability to show this will determine the outcome of their claim.

    An example

    If, for instance, a house guest makes a claim following a trip and fall down your stairs caused by a loose bit of carpeting you did not warn them about, the claim would most likely be successful.

    On the other hand, if they were injured by falling down the stairs because they were drunk, their chance of making a successful claim would be significantly reduced.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Successful claims

    When a house guest makes a claim that is justified, you will most likely have to pay them compensation for their pain and suffering. The compensation you will have to pay could also include loss of earnings, medical and other expenses they incurred as a result of their injury by tripping, slipping or falling.

    Depending on the severity of their personal injuries, the compensation they are awarded could be in the thousands, if not tens of thousands of pounds. If the case goes to court, you could also be ordered to pay related fees and costs.

    Doing your best to prevent accidents and having adequate insurance to cover you in case something does happen is therefore extremely important, as you could otherwise face financial ruin.

    Who can make a claim

    In essence, anyone injured through no fault of their own at work, in someone else’s home or in a public place could be entitled to make a personal injury claim. If you were injured by slipping, tripping or falling and think you may have a claim, call us, Accident Advice Helpline for advice, guidance and legal support.

    Our respective 24/7 freephone numbers for home and mobile phones are 0800 689 0500 and 0333 500 0993. Both lines are confidential and obligation-free. All claims are handled by in-house solicitors under conditional fee agreements.

    Date Published: August 1, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.