How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    What to do if your house has a harmful material inside

    At work, our employers take steps to reduce the risk of work-related injury and accidents at work. At home, you have to take responsibility for your own safety. If you think your house has a harmful material in it, it’’s always a good idea to seek expert advice. If you’’re unsure what to do, call in the experts as soon as possible.

    What should you do if your house has a harmful material in it?

    If your house a harmful material in it, it’’s wise to try and remove it as soon as possible. Asbestos is one of the most dangerous household materials you may encounter. If you have an old house, asbestos may have been used in the building process. If you think there is a risk that your house a harmful material in it, such as asbestos, call in the professionals. You can arrange for specially trained experts to come and remove asbestos for you.

    You can dispose of various other materials yourself at a local waste site. Different councils have varied procedures when it comes to disposal of harmful materials. Check your local authority website to read about how to dispose of hazardous waste if your house has a harmful material in it.

    At home, your safety is your responsibility. If your house has a harmful material in it, you will need to arrange for its disposal. However, if you work in an old building or there is a risk that you may come into contact with hazardous materials at work, your employer should take the necessary steps to prevent work-related illness and work accidents.

    If there is a suspicion that there may be asbestos in the building, a thorough survey should be carried out and the relevant precautions taken. If you work with dangerous materials, you should be provided with the relevant safety gear and you should be aware of health and safety procedures.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Can I claim compensation for work-related illness?

    If you’’ve developed an occupational illness and you believe your employer has been negligent, you have the right to claim compensation. Compensation payouts can help to cover the cost of medical fees and reduced income in the event that you have to cut down your hours or take a prolonged period of time off work.

    If you’’ve been injured at work in the last three years and you have evidence to support your work accident claim, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: August 1, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.