To prevent barbecue accidents when using portable barbecues, it is wise to follow a few simple safety rules and precautions.
Safety when using portable barbecues
Safety rules and precautions to follow when using portable barbecues include:
- Ensuring the barbecue is situated on a flat, safe site at a safe distance from shrubs, trees and garden sheds
- Never leaving a barbecue unattended
- Keeping pets, children and outdoor games out of the cooking area
- Keeping a bucket of sand or water or a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergencies
- Ensuring the barbecue has cooled down adequately before moving it
When using portable barbecues of the disposable kind, you should prevent barbecue-related accidents by:
- Never using disposable barbecues on or close to public benches
- Always ensuring the barbecue is placed onto a solid, even surface, such as on paving slabs or bricks
- Always placing disposable barbecues well away from fences, sheds or your house
- Always ensuring the barbecue has fully cooled before disposing of it
To avoid causing a fire and subsequent personal injuries, you should ideally allow the barbecue to cool for several hours and then douse it with water before disposal.
You can find more detailed information on safely using charcoal or gas-powered barbecues and how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning at the Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service Website.
Other dangers while enjoying a barbecue
Many injuries at barbecues are the result of slips, trips and falls.
You can prevent injuries by slipping, tripping or falling by ensuring all pathways, the cooking area and other areas likely to be frequented by your family and guests are clear of trip and fall hazards, clearing up spills and dropped food immediately to prevent injuries by slipping, and generally asking everyone to act responsibly and with care when carrying hot food and drinks.
If you were hurt at a barbecue because these simple precautions were not taken, you may qualify for a personal injury claim. Our in-house solicitors can help you get the compensation due to you.
We, Accident Advice Helpline, are a law firm with a nationwide legal team specialising in personal injury compensation. With more than 15 years in this business, we have all the necessary skills and experience to make sure your claim is dealt with speedily and efficiently.
All you need to do to set your public liability claim into motion is to dial 0333 500 0993 from your mobile, or 0800 689 0500 from a landline, and have a no-obligation chat with one of our friendly advisors.
Date Published: August 1, 2016
Author: Accident Advice