While you may be the most cautious driver in the world, you are always at risk of a road traffic accident. Thanks to less careful drivers and problematic roads, you should always travel aware of the dangers that the road can present.
Top five safety tips for performing an emergency stop
- Don’t brake and swerve, perhaps to dodge an object or being in the road, this can cause you to lose control of the vehicle.
- With this in mind, do not focus on the object that you are trying to avoid, concentrate on a safe place to move to.
- Press the brake with confidence, quickly in a steady motion. Avoid jumping on and off the brake with shock.
- Keep your left foot against the floor of the car – this will minimise any sprain or strain injury to your legs and lower body.
- Practice makes perfect, so take time out to go to a secluded location to practise your emergency stop; you never know when you may need to use it.
Information to obtain following a road traffic accident
When you are involved in a road collision, you will need to gather information for insurance purposes, and to support your claim, should you wish to make a claim for personal injury compensation
Remember to keep all information factual, and avoid any opinion in statements. The details you need to collate include:
- Third party driver contact information
- Registration plate numbers for all vehicles involved
- Insurance policy number for any third party drivers
- Police report numbers and a completed collision pack
- Photographs of any damage to all involved vehicles
- Witness contact information and statement, where possible
It is also important to remain calm and call the necessary emergency services should you require any help at the scene of the road traffic accident.
Accident Advice Helpline
So long as the accident that caused your injury occurred within the last three years, if you are not to blame, Accident Advice Helpline could help you recover the personal injury compensation that you are entitled to.
Boasting years of experience, when you put your road-related injury claim in the hands of Accident Advice Helpline, you can be sure that it is with the experts.
Their nationwide team of specialists and legal professionals will do all they can to ensure they recover the compensation you deserve for the harm you have suffered.
Date Published: September 30, 2014
Author: Accident Advice