Whether it’s setting the mood for a romantic evening, creating a spooky atmosphere for a themed part or simply making do during a power cut, having numerous candles dotted around the house can be enormously useful and advantageous.
They can also all too easily lead to accidents and injuries at home unless sufficient care is taken. From the obvious potential for burns and scalds to additional, side-effect accidents such as trips and falls, the dangers to health posed by candles at home are both many and varied.
How can candles cause slips, trips and falls, as well as other accidents at home?
By far the most dangerous part of enjoying candlelight is the lighting of the candle itself. Done safely, it can be the perfect finishing touch to a room. However, if you are not careful, catastrophic accidents in the home can occur.
Here are five ways you can help minimise the likelihood of accidents with candles at home occurring.
- Use safety matches: If you don’t have any lighters in the house, then these matches are the way to go. Longer than a standard match, they afford you more time to light the wick, therefore reducing the chances of burn injuries occurring.
- Use a sturdy container: A suitable container, essentially one that does not rock or wobble and is, obviously, flameproof, should be placed on a flat surface with the candle inside it.
- Clear the surrounding area: Papers, dry flowers and any ornaments that could potentially go up in flames should be removed from the area. Also, the candle should be kept well away from dangling objects such as curtains.
- Keep the wick nice and trim: Long wicks can easily cause injuries at home from a candle accident. The perfect wick length is no longer than a quarter of an inch.
- Use the middle of the flame: When lighting the wick, place the middle of the flame on it. The wick should catch fire within three seconds. If not, extinguish the match safely and try again.
What can I do if I am injured in an accident such as a trip or fall?
For victims of trip and fall accidents, it is important to remember that help is at hand. Our expert legal team at Accident Advice Helpline can provide all the guidance and experience you need to ensure a successful personal injury compensation claim.
Date Published: July 8, 2014
Author: Accident Advice