Whether you’ve been to a concert, the theatre or a stand-up gig, catching a cab home is generally the best option, especially so if you’ve chosen to have a tipple in town.
While a road traffic accident might not be at the front of your mind after a good night out, it is always sensible to be aware of how to travel safely. This will help keep you safe and avoid any accidents on the road.
Top 5 tips for hailing a taxi
- Remember that only Hackney cabs can be hailed on the roads. Do not attempt to hail, or enter a private hire taxi that stops to pick you up on the street. It is illegal for private hire vehicles to operate in this way and can be potentially extremely dangerous.
- Ride with friends when travelling late. Although you may know the area, for peace of mind, safety is in numbers.
- Never walk out into busy roads to hail a taxi, this can cause injury and accidents on the road. Available taxis will have their hire light illuminated and will be actively looking for custom. A simple hail from the side of the road – on the pavement – should suffice. Alternatively, ask for directions to the nearest taxi rank.
- If you are unsure of the area, outside of London, it is advisable to pre-book a private hire vehicle. While the best taxis in the capital are most certainly black cabs, outside of London, private hire taxis can ensure you get from A to B safely without panic.
- Always wait for the cab to stop moving before you try to enter the vehicle. Allow your taxi to stop for your pick-up, no matter how rushed you are. This will reduce your chances of sustaining a road-related injury.
It is also advisable that you check taxis are licensed before entering and you make a mental note of the driver’s ID badge, which should always be on show.
Road traffic accidents: Claiming compensation
If you have been injured in a road accident, and you feel you are not to blame for the harm you have suffered, you may be able to claim personal injury compensation.
A law firm, such as Accident Advice Helpline will look at the details of your road traffic accident and assess if your claim is likely to be successful.
Call today on 0800 689 0500 for a free initial consultation regarding your road-related personal injury claim.
Date Published: September 30, 2014
Author: Accident Advice