When you’re frantically trying to get the kids ready for school and get to work on time in the morning, road traffic accidents are probably not the first thing on your mind. If you do the school run on a regular basis, it’s beneficial to be aware of the potential risks of accidents on the roads and to adopt some simple safety tips to help reduce the risk of car crashes, ensuring a safe school run. Here are some handy tips to help you complete a safe school run each day.
How to ensure a safe school run
Driving carries risks and even the most careful drivers can be injured in road accidents. Sometimes, it’s impossible to avoid collisions on the road, but driving safely will help to lower your risk of car crash injuries and ensure a safe school run. Here are some simple tips to bear in mind:
- Drive according to the speed limit
- Pay extra attention around schools; look out for children crossing and cyclists
- Keep well back from the vehicle in front
- Try and leave on time to prevent hurrying
- Always check your mirrors and blind spot before pulling out, turning or slowing down
- Read the road and look out for potential hazards, such as animals, elderly people crossing or pedestrians
- Be patient
- Take extra care in adverse weather
- Use your lights when visibility is poor
- Never drive tired; if you feel yourself dropping off, pull over in a safe place and have a rest
- Park in a safe place when dropping children off and walk them to the gates
Most car crashes in the UK are caused by driver error; if you follow these guidelines, you will reduce your risk of being injured in a crash dramatically, ensuring a safe school run.
When is it possible to claim compensation for a car crash?
If you’ve been injured in a car crash, you may be thinking about making a claim for car crash compensation. Compensation is a financial payout which is awarded to innocent individuals who sustain injuries as a result of another person’s negligence; in this case, this relates to a careless or dangerous driver.
If you have evidence to support your road accident claim, and your accident happened in the last three years, Accident Advice Helpline could help you to secure the compensation you deserve.
Call us now to talk to one of our friendly advisers. Our lines are open 24/7 on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.
Date Published: April 29, 2016
Author: Accident Advice