Thunderstorms are common particularly in the summer months when the temperatures start to rise. Although not normally dangerous in the UK it is still advisable to have certain items in the home in case of emergencies and to avoid injuries from thunderstorm related accidents.
Apart from property damage and flooding related injuries the most likely ways to suffer an injury during a thunderstorm are lightning and simple slips, trips and falls.
Usually there are storm warnings on the TV weather forecast so you should know if particularly severe weather is headed your way.
Before the storm hits
- Items in the garden or yard should be secured and moved inside where relevant
- Make sure all doors and windows are well closed and fastened including any skylights.
- Try to park your car in a garage but if this is not possible then avoid leaving it near trees or structures which may collapse and cause damage
- Any valuable documents or items susceptible to water damage should be waterproofed and moved to a higher level
- Make sure any vulnerable neighbours are similarly prepared for the storm
- Unplug non-essential electrical devices to avoid power surge damage
Things to have
- Keep a supply of water in bottles in case the tap water becomes contaminated
- Good quality torch in case the power goes down
- If you suffer from flooding then any food that comes into contact with the water should be disposed of.
- You should stay indoors if possible during the storm but good waterproofs and wellington boots can be useful if you have to leave the property.
If you are injured as the result of a fall, slip or trip during a thunderstorm then you should call Accident Advice Helpline and see if you are eligible to make a compensation claim. If the accident was in the last three years and was somebody else’s fault then you should be able to make a claim but calling the freephone number and speaking to one of our friendly advisors should make the situation clear.
Our legal team operates on a 100 per cent no win, no fee* basis and most claimants find they can process the entire claim over the telephone with no need to go to court.
So if you have suffered a trip, fall or slip in the stormy weather call Accident Advice Helpline today on 0800 689 0500.