If you’re planning on working out, the last thing you want is to obtain bizarre injuries from the gym. In most cases, you can enjoy a workout or an exercise class without any problem. However, there is a risk of accidents at the gym, such as slips, trips and falls.
If you’re eager to avoid bizarre injuries from the gym, here are some pointers to keep you safe.
Steering clear of bizarre injuries from the gym
Most of us go to the gym to boost our health, but it’s always important to be aware of the risks of accidents and injuries. In order to reduce your risk of accidents in a public place such as a gym, follow these safety tips:
- Always warm up thoroughly
- Make sure you know how to use every machine
- Ask a trainer or member of staff to help you if you’re never used a machine before
- Always cool down and stretch after working out
- Take a minute to wipe down the machine before and after use
- Wear suitable footwear with grip
- Know your limits, especially if you are lifting weights
Gym injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises, to serious and even potentially life-threatening head and spinal injuries. Some of the most bizarre injuries from the gym include:
- Injuries caused by tripping over dumbbells, such as fractures
- Falling backwards off the treadmill and banging your head
- Falling off an exercise ball and twisting an ankle
- Over-stretching and hyper-extending
- Dropping a weight and breaking a toe
Who is liable for an accident at the gym?
If you’ve been injured in a public place, such as a gym, the thought of claiming compensation may have crossed your mind. In most cases, people are responsible for their own health and safety at the gym; however, there may be exceptions.
If you’re been injured as a result of using defective gym equipment, or you’ve had a slip or trip when a spillage hasn’t been cleared up, you may have a case for public liability compensation. If you’ve been injured in the last three years and you have proof that somebody else was liable for your injuries, call Accident Advice Helpline.
We have more than 15 years’ experience in handling slip and trip claims and we aim to make the process as hassle-free as possible. Go online and take out 30-second eligibility test, or call us now on 0800 689 0500, or on 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.
Date Published: April 6, 2016
Author: Accident Advice