How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    The kind of injuries your landlord is liable for

    Slips, trips and falls are common accidents around the home, however, when you live in a rented property, if those trips and tumbles are caused by factors beyond your control, you may be left wondering if your landlord is liable.

    When your landlord is liable

    In accordance with The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, all landlords are legally obliged to ensure that the properties they lease, and any fittings, are maintained to a standard that is ‘fit for human habitation’. When this standard is not maintained, if any tenants sustain injuries, the landlord is liable for the harm and distress experienced.

    As a tenant, you often have minimal control over the maintenance of your home. While you must keep it clean and tidy, house repairs and many appliance checks and repairs are the responsibility of your landlord. When they fail to reasonably maintain your rented home, leaving you in an unsafe or hazardous environment, your landlord is liable for any domestic injuries this negligence causes.

    Physical injuries

    Trips and falls over clutter in outdoor areas, slips down the stairs where repairs haven’’t been finished, or head injuries due to a hit from damaged ceiling plaster, however you sustained your injury, if it is due to landlord negligence, your landlord is liable.

    One thing to note, is that your landlord is liable, but only if they are aware of the issue that has caused your accident in the home. Ergo, it is essential to report and keep a record of any maintenance issues in your home.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Claiming compensation if your landlord is liable

    At Accident Advice Helpline we can help you claim personal injury compensation for the harm and distress you have experienced at the hands of your negligent landlord.

    We also recognise that every victim of personal injury has a different tale to tell, and as such we offer a free initial consultation to help determine any landlord liability and confirm your eligibility to claim.

    No matter the nature of your claim, if you have a genuine case and believe your landlord is liable for your injury or illness, our legal team will help you recover the compensation you are entitled to.

    For more information, speak with one of our friendly advisors today via our freephone helpline number, 0800 689 0500. Lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    Date Published: April 6, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.