How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Taking due care as a landlord to ensure a property is safe

    Taking due care as a landlord basically means ensuring that the health, safety and welfare of tenants and visitors to a property are not at risk.

    Taking due care as a landlord

    Aimed at the prevention of personal injuries from slips, trips and falls, explosions, fires and other accidents and health risks, a landlord’s duty of care towards tenants and visitors is regulated by the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act Section 11, which states that landlords must keep the following in good repair:

    • The interior and exterior structure of a property
    • Installations for water, electricity and gas supplies and sanitation
    • Space and water heating installations
    • Communal areas (stairs, hallways, lifts, etc.)
    • Installations associated with a property and controlled by the landlord

    Any necessary repairs must be carried out properly, using the correct materials and, if necessary, by qualified personnel.

    More regulations

    In addition, taking due care as a landlord requires compliance with electrical equipment and gas safety regulations, the 1988 Fire Safety Regulations for Furniture & Furnishings and the 1994 General Product Safety Regulations.

    Not taking due care as a landlord

    When a landlord does not take due care to keep a property safe and a tenant subsequently has a slip, trip or fall, gets injured by collapsing structures or a gas explosion, the responsible landlord could be held liable to pay the injured party compensation.

    Open Claim Calculator

    When your landlord failed

    If you sustained an injury by slipping, tripping or falling or indeed any other accident caused by your landlord’s failure to take due care, you could be entitled to personal injury compensation. In order to be eligible to claim, your accident must have occurred within the past three years and you must be able to prove that your slip or trip, for instance, was caused by your landlord’s negligence.

    How to make a claim

    Your first step in claiming compensation is to find a good injury solicitor. This is easier than you might imagine. Our legal team at Accident Advice Helpline has been specialising in conducting personal injury claims similar to yours for over 10 years and their success record is outstanding. Working on a no win no fee* basis, our in-house solicitors can be enlisted by filling in the compensation calculator on our website or by speaking to an advisor via our 24-hour freephone helpline. Simply dial 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993, explain your situation and we will do the rest.

    Date Published: December 9, 2015

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.