Suffering from carbon monoxide can be an extremely unpleasant – not to mention dangerous – experience. Spotting the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning early can go a long way to preventing any serious or lasting damage in the future.
What symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning should I look out for?
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning you experience will depend on two main variables – the amount of carbon monoxide in the air and the amount of time you have been exposed to it. The main symptoms include:
Unexplained headaches – By far the most common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning, headaches are a problematic indicator because they can be easily put down to other causes, such as dehydration or too much screen time. Headaches caused by carbon monoxide poisoning will typically affect the frontal part of the head. At the lowest level, they can take two to three hours to appear. When more carbon monoxide is present, it will only take a couple of minutes.
Nausea, sickness and dizziness – Similar to headaches, these are all symptoms that can be blamed on something other than carbon monoxide so it’s important to always bear this in mind as a possible cause. At mid-level presence, these symptoms of carbon monoxide can take as little as 45 minutes to appear.
Fainting and bouts of unconsciousness – These symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are altogether more serious. If the level of carbon monoxide in the air is 800 parts per million, then you can lose consciousness in just two hours. The higher the level, the shorter it takes.
All of the above symptoms are infinitely preferable to the most serious consequence of carbon monoxide poisoning – death. If the level of carbon monoxide reaches or exceeds 12800 per million parts, then the danger of the ultimate tragedy is a matter of minutes away.
How can I guard against carbon monoxide poisoning?
With so much at stake, it’s no wonder carbon monoxide alarms are an essential part of any home and building with solid fuel burning appliances.
Your alarm should be tested every month and the batteries replaced every six months.
If you suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning because of third party negligence – such as a faulty detector – then you may have a case to claim for compensation.
A quick look at Accident Advice Helpline’s unique 30-second test can get you started, or you can talk to our experts on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile.
Date Published: February 19, 2017
Author: Accident Advice