There’s a chill in the air, the nights are drawing in and soon, it will be time to put the tree up and light the Advent candle: Christmas is coming! If you’re planning a winter holiday and you’re hitting the slopes this festive period, here are some top tips to help you prevent travel accidents and ensure you remember skiing in Switzerland for all the right reasons.
Skiing in Switzerland: How to avoid accidents
Switzerland is one of the world’s leading ski holiday destinations and thousands of people flock to the crisp white slopes for a Christmas holiday. If you’re preparing to jet out and enjoy the white stuff, here are some simple ways to reduce your risk of slips, trips and falls, skiing injuries and ski lift accidents:
- take care on the ski lift and try to avoid getting distracted by the views
- wear the appropriate clothing and check the condition of your skiing equipment; if it’s not up to scratch, consider hiring new equipment
- know your limits and stick to the routes and slopes that are suited to your ability
- wear a helmet
- consider booking some lessons if you are a novice or you haven’t been skiing in Switzerland for a long time
- take care around other skiers and snowboarders and remember that the skier in front always has priority
- don’t attempt to ski if you have enjoyed a little too much après-ski
Can I claim for an accident overseas?
If you have been injured abroad, it may be possible to claim travel accident compensation; however, there are restrictions in place. The travel incident must have occurred within the last 3 years and you must be able to prove that you were not to blame. Personal injury compensation will usually only be approved in cases where skiing holidays were booked through a UK travel agency or tour operator and there was a clear case of negligence on their part.
If you would like to discuss your travel claim with an advisor and find out if you have a valid claim and how much you could receive, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile. This reputable legal firm employs a team of expert personal injury lawyers, which works on a no win, no fee** basis.
Date Published: December 1, 2015
Author: David Brown