How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Suffering an injury because your landlord didn’t make a repair

    The 1985 Landlord 7 Tenant Act, Section 11 (see for more detailed information) implies a term (implied terms are terms that may be read into tenancy agreements even though they have not  been stated) into a tenancy agreement that makes carrying out basic repairs one of a landlord’s most important obligations. This implied term applies regardless of whether a tenancy agreement has been agreed upon verbally or in writing.

    What is covered by Section 11?

    Basically, Section 11 means landlords are responsible for repairing:

    • The exterior and structure of a home (such as, for instance, the foundations, walls and roof, windows and external doors, as well as external pipes, guttering and drains
    • Sinks, basins and baths, toilets and related pipework
    • Gas and water pipes
    • Electrical wiring
    • Boilers, water tanks and radiators
    • Fitted heaters and gas or fitted electric fires

    If your landlord didn’t make a repair or carried a repair out dangerously or carelessly and you are injured as a result, you could qualify for personal injury compensation.

    Possible injuries to claim for if a landlord didn’t make a repair

    Injuries likely to affect you and entitle you to injury compensation could, for example, include:

    In cases where your landlord didn’t make a repair to a boiler, heater or gas fire, for instance, carbon monoxide poisoning is also a possible outcome.

    Open Claim Calculator

    When to claim

    Claims for accidental injury compensation must be initiated within three years of your accident, slip, trip or fall. You will be required to prove that you sustained your injury because your landlord didn’t make a house repair even though he knew it was necessary. Gathering necessary evidence and conducting the claim process is made easier with the help of an experienced, highly trained Accident Advice Helpline solicitor.

    Accident Advice Helpline

    Specialising in public liability claims, our legal team operates on a no win no fee** basis. Many aspects of the claim process are dealt with over the phone and in most cases, claimants do not end up having to go to court. You can request the help of one of our solicitors today by calling our 24/7 helpline on 0800 689 0500 if calling from a landline or, in case you are calling from a mobile, 0333 500 0993.

    Date Published: November 13, 2015

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.