How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Suffering an accident on someone else’s property

    If you slip, trip or fall or you have an accident on somebody else’s property and you were not to blame, you may have a case for public liability compensation, provided that you have evidence to prove you were not at fault in any way. If you think you may have a claim, Accident Advice Helpline could help you to make a no win, no fee* claim with minimal hassle.

    Can I claim for suffering an accident on someone else’s property?

    If you’ve had a slip or trip in a public place, such as a shopping centre, you’re fallen on a loose paving stone in the town centre or you’ve been injured on somebody else’s property and they were at fault, you may be able to make a public liability claim. If the public place accident occurred at a bank, a shop or a bar, for example, compensation would be claimed in line with the owner’s or managing organisation’s insurance policy. If the accident took place on land owned by a local council, a public liability claim would be made against the relevant local authority.

    The rules for private property are different and personal injury compensation may be awarded for suffering an accident on someone else’s property, providing that it occurred as a direct result of their negligence, you have evidence to prove that you were not to blame and the owner in question has the relevant insurance policy or the financial means to settle a compensation payout.

    If you’ve suffered an accident on someone else’s property, it is a good idea to:

    • report the accident to the owner of the property, the manager on duty if you are at a shop or restaurant or the local authority if you are on council-managed premises
    • seek medical attention for your slip or trip injuries
    • note down exactly what happened and ask eye witnesses if they would be willing to provide a statement

    How can I find out more?

    If you’re interested in making a public place accident claim or you’d like to see if you have a case for compensation following an accident on private property, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile or visit the website and take the 30-second eligibility test on the homepage.

    Open Claim Calculator

    At Accident Advice Helpline, we have over a decade of experience in handling no win, no fee* personal injury claims and we offer a stress-free, simple process, which does not usually require our clients to attend court proceedings.

    Date Published: December 9, 2015

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.