How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    What to do if you start drifting out to sea

    If you’ve been swimming or you’ve hired a boat and you find yourself cut off from the shore, these basic survival tips will help. Here are some tips to prevent travel accidents and help you decide what to do if you start drifting out to sea.

    What to do if you start drifting out to sea

    Prevention is always better than cure, and you can reduce your risk of holiday accidents and travel injuries by employing common sense when it comes to swimming in open water and taking boats out.

    If the weather is adverse or there are warnings from lifeguards or coastguards in place, heed this advice. Don’t attempt to sail or swim if the tide is high, heavy rain is forecast or the winds are particularly strong.

    If you do start drifting out to sea, try and find something to cling onto, and alert people to your presence; keep your eyes peeled and use your ears to listen for helicopters and boats. When you go sailing, make sure there are life jackets and whistles available. If you have access to a light or whistle, use it to draw attention to yourself.

    Try and use the sun or the stars to orientate yourself and head in the direction of the shoreline.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you do reach land, try and find water and food as quickly as possible. You may be able to find leaves or pieces of wood to create a makeshift shelter.

    You may think that you only need to know what to do if you start drifting out to sea in films, but the reality is that accidents happen. It may be highly unlikely that you start drifting out to sea. It’s not likely that you’ll get into any difficulty and the chances of you needing to adopt survival skills are very slim, but it’s wise to be knowledgeable.

    Claiming compensation for holiday accidents

    If you’ve been injured abroad or you were involved in an accident overseas which wasn’t your fault, Accident Advice Helpline could help you to claim travel accident compensation.

    The sum you receive could help with financial pressures associated with long-term sick leave or even giving up work as a result of travel injuries. Call us now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993. With our experienced personal injury lawyers, your holiday accident claim is in safe hands.

    Date Published: August 1, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.