How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Safety checks to make for landlords

    Being a landlord can be a personally stressful, if financially rewarding, business. Unruly tenants who are constantly behind on rent, pipes bursting in the middle of the night and property maintenance can all cause a headache.

    Landlords also have legal responsibilities towards their tenants and can leave themselves exposed to accident and injury compensation claims if they are not met.

    Are landlords responsible for preventing slips, trips and falls?

    To a certain degree, yes. That is to say that they are responsible for ensuring things like the stairs are safe to use and structurally sound.

    What are the main areas of safety landlords are responsible for?

    The property must be kept free from safety hazards and potential causes of personal injuries. The main areas of concern for landlords are:

    • Gas: A landlord must ensure that the gas equipment supplied and used in the building is both installed and maintained by an engineer who is Gas Safe registered. A registered engineer must carry out annual inspections of the appliances and tenants must be provided with a copy of the gas safety check record. Injuries from faulty products are a cause for injury compensation claims.
    • Electrics: Landlords are responsible for ensuring that both the electrical system and appliances in place are safe for tenants to use without risking personal injury.
    • Fire: Landlords must make sure they follow fire safety regulations, such as ensuring the escape route is accessible at all times and free of trip or fall hazards when the tenants move in. They must also ensure that any furnishings provided are fire safe and that sufficient fire alarms and extinguishers are in place for the property size.

    What is my claim eligibility after an accident in a rented property?

    If you are injured as a result of negligence or poor safety checks from a landlord, then you may be due personal injury compensation. An example would be a faulty appliance that wasn’’t properly inspected causing a slip or fall or another form of personal injury.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Providing the accident was not your fault, occurred within the last three years and caused injuries that required medical attention, then you could well have a valid claim for injury compensation.

    Accident Advice Helpline has over 15 years’’ experience in dealing with personal injury claims. Our dedicated legal team work on a no-win, no-fee* basis and are usually able to settle claims out of court.

    Date Published: March 12, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.