There is a Korean urban legend known as “fan death” which is a belief that leaving a fan running at night in a closed room will cause death. There are no reported incidents of this actually happening but are there some dangers involved in sleeping with a fan on at night?
If you have suffered an injury then you may be eligible for compensation, Accident Advice Helpline is a firm specialising in personal injury claims and we have a “30 second test” available on our website so that you can see if you might be eligible.
There aren’t many cases where fans are directly associated with causing accidents although there is potentially an issue from poor electrics and a risk of fire.
- Check the power cables and connections – if they are frayed then there might be a danger of electric shock or an electrical fire starting after extended periods of use.
- Make sure there are no funny smells and that the motor of the fan is not overheating
- If you do have issues then get it checked out by a qualified electrician.
- Using a power surge protector will further protect you from electrical issues.
- Add weight to the base to keep fans upright and stable, particularly if you have pets or young children.
To increase the efficiency of these stand-up type fans you can place them by an open window to blow in cool air from outside and circulate it in your room.
If you have suffered an injury from an accident in the last three years which was somebody else’s fault then you might be eligible for compensation. Call Accident Advice Helpline to speak to one of our friendly advisors and let us assess your claim. We have been working on these types of personal injury claims for many years and specialise in travel accident compensation, slips, trips and falls and accidents in the workplace.
Our legal team works on a 100 per cent no win, no fee* basis meaning you can go into your claim with the utmost confidence. Most claimants can go through the entire process on the telephone without ever needing to visit a court although the length of time each case takes to run to conclusion can vary. The patron of Accident Advice Helpline is TV personality and consumer champion Dame Esther Rantzen so you can be assured that we take the rights of the consumer very seriously. Give us a call on 0800 689 0500 and speak to one of our advisors today
Date Published: July 22, 2015
Author: Accident Advice