How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Are restaurants liable if they don’t detail nutritional information?

    Restaurants, shops and other public places are common sites for slips, trips and falls, but if you’re heading out to enjoy a celebratory meal, the last thing you expect is to end up sitting in an Accident and Emergency waiting room. Restaurants have a duty to adhere to strict health and safety guidelines; if you feel you’ve been injured as a result of negligence or poor health and safety protocol, you may be eligible for compensation.

    Restaurant claims: Public place falls

    Falls are very common and they can happen at any time, in any place. Often, falls are down to the individual, especially nowadays when many people choose to listen to music or use their mobile phone when they are walking, but sometimes, accidents happen due to other factors, which could have been prevented by the implementation of effective health and safety measures.

    Falls in restaurants may be caused by slipping on a wet floor, which may arise if a drink is spilled or food is dropped on the floor, uneven flooring and split-level flooring, poorly maintained carpets and obstructions, which may be found in the doorway, stairwell or corridors. Falling down the stairs is also a common problem.

    Food-related claims: Can I make a public liability claim based on a lack of nutritional information?

    In addition to claims relating to falling or slipping in a public place, it may also be possible to claim for illness relating to the products served by a restaurant. If you develop food poisoning, for example, as a result of eating at a café or restaurant, you may be able to claim compensation, especially if you have had to take time off work.

    If you have an allergy and you are unable to eat certain foods and you have suffered a reaction, you may be thinking about submitting an application for compensation; however, it is not a legal requirement for restaurants to display nutritional information and it is actually the responsibility of the individual to enquire about the ingredients of the dish to ensure that it is suitable for their consumption. It is however, important that restaurants display the correct information about their meals and if you are told that something does not contain nuts, you have the right to assume that you have been given the right information and if this is not true, there may be a case for compensation.

    Open Claim Calculator

    How can I find out more about public liability claims?

    If you would like to find out more about public accident claims, contact Accident Advice Helpline, a legal firm with over 15 years of experience in handling a range of claims, from slip, trip or fall compensation, to work accident claims and road traffic compensation.

    Date Published: February 13, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.