Teaching your child to ride a bike is a momentous occasion and the last thing you want is to end up witnessing slip, trips and falls, rather than the sight of your child boldly steering their way into the distance without you running behind and holding them tight. If you’re planning to teach your child to ride a bike, here are some pointers to prevent slip and trip injuries and ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible:
Tips for teaching your child to ride a bike
Riding a bike is one of those landmark achievements, which many parents look forward to celebrating with their child. If you’re in the middle of teaching your child to ride a bike or you’re about to start their training, here are some tips to have them cycling off into the sunset in no time:
- use stabilisers
- support your child to begin with and then gently let go, as they become more confident
- offer constant encouragement and reassurance
- try to be patient
- go on family bike rides
- choose a safe, quiet place for the first few trial runs
- steer clear of busy routes to avoid accidents on the roads
Potential accidents to avoid
- Slipping over: it’s wet and cold outside and winter is upon us, which means that pavements and parks can be slippery; take care when running behind or at the side of your child and try to find a dry, sheltered patch for them to practise.
- Trips and falls on paving stones and paths: uneven paving stones, man hole covers and hidden steps can all increase the risk of public place accidents
- Road traffic accidents: if you’re cycling on a path close to roads, there is always a risk of road accidents
Can I claim for an accident?
If you’ve been involved in an accident in a public place while teaching your child to ride a bike and you were not at fault, you have a right to claim public liability compensation. If you or your child were injured as a result of tripping on poorly-maintained paving or an unmarked man hole, for example, call Accident Advice Helpline for expert advice on making a personal injury claim. We have more than a decade of experience in handling public place accident claims and slip, trip and fall compensation cases and we will do our best to secure your no win, no fee* compensation payout with minimal stress. Call today on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a UK mobile for more details.
Date Published: December 9, 2015
Author: David Brown