How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    If you dislocate a joint, is it safe to put it back in yourself?

    If you’’ve been injured in an accident at work, you may need to seek medical advice. If you have injuries, first aid treatment can often be hugely beneficial, especially in serious cases when it may take a few minutes for expert help to arrive. Yet it is unsafe to treat some injuries at home, so if you dislocate a joint, is it safe to put it back in yourself?

    If you dislocate a joint, is it safe to put in back in yourself?

    Dislocations are fairly common; they can arise as a result of slips, trips and falls, sports injuries and landing awkwardly. If you dislocate a joint, you may experience:

    • Sudden onset of severe pain
    • Nausea
    • Immobility in and around the joint
    • Swelling
    • Bruising
    • Visual changes in the joint; it may look deformed or bent

    Most commonly, if you dislocate a joint, it will involve the knees, shoulders or jaw.

    What to do if you dislocate a joint at work

    If you’’ve dislocated a joint in a work accident, it’’s important to get help immediately. Visit your nearest Accident and Emergency department. You will usually be seen by a triage nurse
    before you see a doctor. It is important to try and keep the joint as still as possible.

    Even though it may seem tempting to try and slot the joint back into position, you should never try and replace the joint yourself. This can cause even more damage to the joint and the connective tissue within it. Wait for a doctor. Elevating the joint and placing ice packs on the affected limb will help to reduce inflammation.

    Open Claim Calculator

    When can you claim compensation for a work accident?

    Every year, thousands of people in the UK sustain injuries at work. If you’’ve been injured at work and you were not at fault, you may have a viable claim for compensation.

    If you can prove that your employer was negligent and this contributed to your accident, you have a right to file a claim. If you were provided with defective equipment or unsuitable
    protective clothing, for example, your employer may be liable for your injuries.

    Accident Advice Helpline

    If you wish to pursue a work injury claim, call Accident Advice Helpline for information about the claims process. Our helpful advisers will be able to give you advice about whether or not you have a viable claim and how much your claim could be worth. Our lines are open 24 hours a day on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile. Alternatively, visit our website and take the 30-second eligibility test.

    Date Published: April 29, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.